Hello! This is our public blog, but we are now posting on our private blog. Please keep this as the link on your own blog so that we can still be found by old friends. This blog has an open-comment policy to allow anyone to leave their email and request an invite. So if you're not invited - just ask me! It also has a link for you to come right over to our private blog where you can find out what we're up to.



Thanks! Garrett & Shelly

Monday, March 7, 2011

Baby Ultra Sound

So here's an update:
This was at 8 weeks, a gummy bear! Baby is upside down, the head is on the very bottom and you can see the two little arms.. sortof.


I am now 15 weeks (next week will be 4 months, half way!) And the baby is supposedly 4 inches long and the size of an apple. Here is a "belly" shot from 12 weeks, when baby was the size of a lime ~ that's what I'm holding, a lime.
Garrett made me turn and push out a little so I would actually have some sort of a bump, but I'm really not showing much, even now.

(Much to Garrett's dismay, he wants a
kicking watermelon so bad!)

And here it is on the inside!

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE FROM 8 WKS TO 14!!

-at 14 weeks-
-We still don't know gender, we find out at 18 wks-
I'll try to explain these pictures a little,
WHITE IS BONE
BLACK IS FLUID
GREY IS SOFT TISSUE
Keep in mind these are all full body shots:

1- My favorite one. This is a view from the back and baby is laying flat on its side. On the left is baby's head, squished between the uterine lining on the bottom and the placenta on top (that roundish solid blob), you can follow the spine down the back, (actually the black line is the spinal cord!) and the legs and feet are curled up tightly on the right. You can't see the arms because they are on the other side of baby. Baby kept kicking SO HARD trying to squish tighter into that little corner. Funny!


2- Side view. Again baby's head is on the left and the feet are on the bottom right. Baby turned so it was lying on its knees and face and again was trying to squish its head tighter into the corner. Look at the head - see that thick white line running through the middle? That's the row of teeth buds forming in baby's gums! You can't see the arms because it's not a good view for them, but the long hot-dog looking thing next to the belly is the umbilical cord!

3- The yawn. Side view where baby sat up and yawned! No, there is no air exchange but babies practice expanding their lungs. To visualize, baby's head is at the top and it is facing left. Look close you can see the little button nose and facial features! Again, the white in the middle of the face are teeth buds. You can see baby's arm bent at the elbow and held up to the face. You can't see the legs very well but baby is sitting on its knees.

So amazing. We got to take time looking at all the organs and joints and everything. Baby is fully functioning, has two arms, two legs, a heart with four chambers, two kidneys, one large diaphragm and a perfectly healthy heartbeat.

I have been feeling much better, hallelujah. Baby thoughts are fun, but not when you are nauseated for 6 weeks. I am still craving eggos for breakfast and italian subs for lunch. I haven't felt baby move yet, and probably won't for another few weeks, but on the screen we watched it kick, bend, twist, and even punch! This baby is already so special, can't wait to see more of it!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am so happy for you guys! You will be the most amazing mama! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Ultrasounds are so fun! I can't wait till you guys can find out what you are having!

Megs said...

Congrats to you! How exciting! Nothing changes your life quite like a little one. You will be great parents!

The Gates said...

Congrats Shelly! I didn't know you guys were expecting but I'm so excited for you, babies are the best.